Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 2419
Caption Luvera's Grocery - "bond stunt"
Description Paul Luvera (1898-1990) started this grocery on November 22, 1922 on the ground floor of the Blackmore Building, 702 Commercial. The Blackmore Building was built c. 1890 and was later known as the Hensler Building and owned by Gus Hensler. Luvera's father Nicola was a native of Reggio, Calabria, Italy who immigrated to Canada as a child and brought his family to Anacortes in 1918. Nicola, who died in 1956, worked in the store with his son Paul. The business had a variety of names over the years: Luvera's Fruit and Grocery, Luvera's Grocery, etc. This photo labeled "bond sales stunt" was probably taken at an antic promoting the sale of war bonds. Between 1941 and 1946, eight out of thirteen Americans (85 million people) purchased war bonds, which contributed $187.7 billion toward the allied victory. Series E bonds, in denominations from $25 to $1000, earned 2.9% interest if held for ten years to maturity. Note the police officer putting handcuffs on the man at the center of the photo who is "mopping up". Throughout the years his store was in business, Paul Luvera ran numerous contests and events in his store. They had different and catchy titles such as "Italian Spaghetti Feed" to celebrate the store remodel of 1928, "Oldest Grandmother" in April 1931, "Best Fiddler" and "Oldest Father" in 1931, "Guess Anacortes' population" and "Mickey Mouse Club" in 1930, plus yearly events each November to celebrate the store's anniversary. See also WF 2418, 2419, 1066-1078, 1446, 1641, 1542, 2417-2427, 2445, 4118-4177.
Date 1944
Photographer BRADY, Ferd
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - Business
People
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Luvera's Grocery
war bond
stunt
contest
event
Blackmore Building
Hensler Building
Object Name Negative