Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 1323
Caption Salvation Army fundraiser
Description This is a publicity photo promoting the yearly fundraiser for the Salvation Army. A woman from the Salvation Army is seen receiving a donation from Anacortes Mayor Joe Hagan who was mayor from 1945-53. The Salvation Army came to Anacortes in 1905 under Adjutant George Dowell and was housed on 4th Street between Commercial and O avenues. The 4-24-1906 ANACORTES AMERICAN reported, "Anacortes is to have a real Salvation Army band with a big bass drum and tambourine. A town never prospers until one can hear the good soldiers marching on to war and we welcome the comrades as a forerunner of prosperity by the wholesale." The 1911 directory listed it at the corner of 3rd and Commercial. The 1917 directory listed headquarters at 913 4th Street. The 1921 directory listed addresses at both 913 4th and 1102 4th. From 1937 until 1962, Salvation Army Hall was listed at 1102 4th. The 4-29-1971, ANACORTES AMERICAN reported the Salvation Army's move to a new location at 814 28th Street. During December 1998 it moved again, this time to 3001 R Avenue where it still is as of December 2011.
Date 1950 c.
Photographer from the BRADY, Ferd collection
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Organization - Church
People
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
People HAGAN, Joe L., Mayor
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Salvation Army
bass drum
tambourine
fundraiser
mayor
Object Name Negative