Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 2195
Caption CITY OF BELLINGHAM - ferry
Description Photo of the Orcas Island ferry, CITY OF BELLINGHAM, approaching the Orcas ferry dock. The Orcas Hotel, WF 2193, is visible on the hillside above the ferry dock. Ferry history from http://www.evergreenfleet.com/quilcene.html, "The CITY OF BELLINGHAM began life in 1916 as the passenger steamer KITSAP II for the Kitsap County Transportation Company, or ' White Collar Line' as it was known. By the 1920s, the automobile was already becoming king, and in order to survive, companies were converting steamers left and right until proper auto ferries could be built. Retaining her machinery, the KITSAP II was stripped down and rebuilt to carry cars, emerging in 1942 as the ferry CITY OF BELLINGHAM. Black Ball eventually acquired the vessel, [and in 1929] expanded her, and renamed her QUILCENE."
Date 1930s c.
Photographer BRADY, Ferd
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place - Orcas Island
Transportation - Land
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Search Terms Orcas Island
CITY OF BELLINGHAM
KITSAP II
QUILCENE
Black Ball Line
Object Name Print, Photographic