|Catalog Number||WF 3787.001|
|Caption||DWELLEY, Charles L.|
|Description||Charles L. Dwelley was the son of Skagit Valley pioneers Joseph and Angeline Dwelley. Joseph F. Dwelley came to Puget Sound from Wisconsin in the late-1860s and temporarily settled on Ebey's Prairie on Whidbey Island. His wife and children came out soon afterward and they homesteaded near present-day Mt. Vernon c. 1870. By 1873 they had settled at LaConner where Joseph worked as a carpenter and furniture maker. He also served as a judge. In 1894, Joseph and Angeline's son Charles was a member of the first graduating class of LaConner High School. Charles went to the University of Washington until 1897, graduated from Wilson Business College in 1898, and then worked as a bookkeeper in a Seattle hardware store. In 1914, Charles moved to Anacortes. He served two terms on the City Council. The 1937 city directory listed Charles and his wife Elizabeth living at 1115 9th Street. He was the storekeeper for Puget Sound Pulp and Timber. Elizabeth Dwelley played a key role in Anacortes' historic preservation. As a reporter for the ANACORTES AMERICAN in the 1930s she spearheaded the Pioneer Dinner of 1949, an event that resulted in the first gathering of historic artifacts for the purpose of preserving city history. In an April 18, 1949 ANACORTES AMERICAN article, "Want antiques for dinner exhibit," Elizabeth's role was detailed. She was also a writer and penned articles on local history. See: PUGET SOUNDER, Vol.3, 1-1937, "Swinomish Slough Going Through!" Elizabeth and Charles Dwelley's son, Charles M., worked at the ANACORTES AMERICAN for a time and later owned the CONCRETE HERALD. The May 22, 1964, ANACORTES AMERICAN reported the death of Charles L. Dwelley.|
|Collection||Wallie Funk Collection|
Place - Anacortes, WA
|Credit line||Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection|
DWELLEY, Charles L.