Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 1144
Description Man atop the steeple of the St. Mary Catholic Church. This steeple was blown off the church during a severe windstorm on April 28,1962. The May 2, 1962, ANACORTES AMERICAN reported: "Towering spire of St. Mary Catholic Churchs blown off by 60 mph winds last week. Will be rebuilt". Located on the northwest corner of 7th Street and N Avenue, this church was built in 1929 after the original St. Mary Catholic Church was heavily damaged by fire in January 1924. [see ANACORTES AMERICAN, January 14, 1924]. The first Catholic services on Fidalgo Island were held in the home of Mary Benn in Deception/Fidalgo City in 1889. The island's first Catholic church was dedicated in 1904 on the Northwest corner of 7th and N Avenue, Anacortes, by Most Rev. Edward O'Dea, bishop of Nisqually [Nisqually diocese now known as the Archidiocese of Seattle (2002)]. In 1910 that church was moved west to the middle of the block between M and N. [See WF 1289] and Father Gustav Treunet came to Anacortes from Elma, Washington. Prior to that, Anacortes Catholics had been serviced by the LaConner priest who also held services at the Swinomish reservation. Treunet served the parish until 1948. following the 1924 fire,St. Mary Catholic Church was replaced by this church in 1929. The new church, constructed in "Tudor-Gothic style, stucco stone-imitation," cost $40,000. It was dedicated by bishop O'Dea in October 1929 [see January 14, 1924 and October 20, 1929 ANACORTES AMERICAN]. This church served Anacortes Catholics until May 7, 1979, when the new church was dedicated at "Hillcrest" site near Grandview Cemetery. [see WF 1142 and WF 1143 for similar views; WF 1144 for close-up of steeple, and WF 1272, 1289]. As of February 2003, the former church at 7th and N is occupied by a boat sail business.

NOTE: This negative view is very similar to WF 1142
Date 1930's c.
Photographer from the BRADY, Ferd collection
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Organization - Church
Structure
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms church
St. Mary
7th Street & N Avenue
steeple
Object Name Negative