Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number 2007.010.045
Caption W.T. PRESTON, March 1930
Description W. T. PRESTON.

The wood-hulled snagboat W. T. PRESTON was built c. 1929, using some components (sternwheel and engines) of the vessel it replaced, the SWINOMISH. The W. T. PRESTON, named for the only civilian engineer then working for the Corps of Engineers, served the Corps form 1929 to 1939, pulling snags out of Puget Sound waterways and local rivers. A new steel-hulled, 163' W. T. PRESTON was then built at the Lake Union Drydock in Seattle, again using material from the wooden boat it replaced. In 1981 the W. T. PRESTON, "last Puget Sound sternwheeler" was retired. She went on display in Anacortes in 1983.
Date 1930 Mar
Subjects Maritime - Boat
Credit line Donated by Pam Negri
Search Terms W. T. PRESTON
Object Name Print, Photographic, copy