Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 0076.A,B
Caption Havecost Hotel
Description This hotel was built by Tonjes H. Havekost (c. 1841-1911) near present day Washington Park. Havekost came to the U.S. from Germany in 1866 and engaged in building and contracting along the Union Pacific line from Iowa to California, arriving in Washington in 1870. He initially settled on land that was later purchased by Amos Bowman. He moved to Burrows Bay where he took 160 acres. Current Flounder Bay was then called Havekost Lagoon. From the 5-10-1884, NORTHWEST ENTERPRISE, "The steamer LOTTIE running between Victoria and the San Juans landed at Havekost's Lagoon on Fidalgo Island." Havekost acquired more land, eventually owning over 400 acres. In 1890 he joined with Goodwin and Benedict to build the Goodwin-Benedict-Havekost Building at 510 Commercial. [Still standing as of 9-2001.] The ANACORTES AMERICAN reported on 11-27-1890, "Foundation f the G-B-H Block completed and brick work commenced." That building was completed by early 1891 and Havekost began constructing facilities at Burrows Bay including the hotel pictured here. On 9-10-1891, the paper reported, "At Burrows Bay: New Hotel Being Erected. Mr. T. H. Havekost, who resides on a point of land facing the bay, has let contract for a fine large hotel at cost of $4000. It will be 2-story with 26 sleeping apartments, besides parlors, dining room, offices, etc. Building is already under roof and will be completed by November." The paper also reported a new wharf leading to the waterfront was complete and the "road bridge will be finished; Handsome two-story depot completed." On 11-19-1891, "Havekost's large hotel finished." When Havekost died in 1911, he was buried on the hillside above this hotel. When the large monument marking his grave was installed in 1913 (10-9-1913 ANACORTES AMERICAN), it stood "1/4 mile west of the old hotel", a structure no longer standing today. The bar from this hotel was installed in Skyline Development's cocktail lounge. See also, WF 0077, 0064. For later views of this site, see Brady photos of the E. K. Wood Mill, and Wallie V Funk photos of the demolition of the E. K. Wood/Walton Mill complex, and subsequent Skyline development.
Date 1900 c.
Photographer Unknown
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Structure - Hotel
Place - Anacortes, WA
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Havekost Hotel
Burrows Bay
Havekost Lagoon
Lottie
Goodwin-Benedict-Havekost Building
wharf
Havekost monument
Object Name Print, Photographic