|Catalog Number||WF 1074|
|Caption||Luvera's Groceries - WWII preparedness|
View of Paul and Nicolas Luvera outside their store with emergency preparedness items for World War II. This photo was in response to the national War Preparedness Movement that followed Pearl Harbor in 1941. Sign in front of Nicolas Luvera asks, "We are prepared. Are you?"
Paul Luvera (1898-1990) started this grocery on November 22, 1922, on the ground floor of the Blackmore Building at 702 Commercial. This structure was built as the Blackmore Building c.1890; later known as the Hensler Building, owned by Gus Hensler. Luvera's father Nicolas, was a native of Reggio, Calabria, Italy, he immigrated to Canada as a child and brought his family to Anacortes in 1918. Nicolas, who died in 1956, worked in the store with his son Paul, a business that had a variety of different names over the years: Luvera's Fruit and Grocery, Luvera's Grocery, etc. In 1953 the Blackmore building and Luvera's store, was extensively remodeled including removing the 2nd story from the building. Paul Luvera retired in 1957. See also: WF-1446 for Luvera float in Marineers' Pageant; WF 2417-2466, 4120 and WF 5685 and D.IV.122.001-003; WF 1075.
|Photographer||from the BRADY, Ferd collection|
|Collection||Wallie Funk Collection|
Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - Business
|Credit line||Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection|
702 Commercial Avenue
World War II preparedness
|Object Name||Print, photographic|