Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 0246
Caption Elk's Arch
Description This temporary arch was erected over Commercial Avenue at 6th Street for the Washington State Convention of "10,000" Elks who converged on Anacortes during August 17-19, 1923. An "official decorator" came to Anacortes in August 1922 to transform Commercial Avenue. The 8-17-1922, ANACORTES AMERICAN reported, "Gay flags will blanket city". "At 6th and Commercial the big Elks arch stands decorated with flags, bunting, and Elks' (sic) heads. All telegraph and telephone poles are decorated with flags, bunting, and greenery, the latter furnished and put up by the Boys Club." This view looks north on Commercial. The Keystone Building is visible at right; J. C. Penney occupies the ground floor storefront. On 12-8-1922 the paper reported that Penney's would move to the Matheson Building at the NW corner of 8th and Commercial. Western Union Telegraph Company is seen north of Penney's, and is also in the Keystone Building. The tower of the Vendome Hotel at the NE corner of 6th and Commercial is visible behind the telephone pole. On the left side of the street are the 5 and 10 Cent Store and the Shannon Building at the SW corner of 6th and Commercial; the Pioneer Building is at the NW corner of 6th and Commercial. Also see WF 0247.
Date 1922, August
Photographer Unknown
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place - Anacortes, WA
Place - Commercial Avenue
People
Organization - Fraternal
Structure - Business
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Elks' Arch
Commercial Avenue
Washington State Convention of "10,000" Elks
flag
bunting
Keystone Building
J. C. Penney Co.
Matheson Building
Western Union Telegraph Company
Vendome Hotel
5 and 10 Cent Store
Shannon Building
Pioneer Building
Object Name Print, Photographic