|Catalog Number||WF 4319|
|Description||Joseph O. McNary was the publisher of the ANACORTES MERCURY, and later, the DAILY MERCURY-CITIZEN. The ANACORTES MERCURY apparently began c. 1926 according to the March 24, 1927, masthead which stated, "ANACORTES MERCURY, 913 6th, J. O. McNary, Vol. 1 #110." On March 26, 1927, the MERCURY merged with the ANACORTES CITIZEN as the DAILY MERCURY-CITIZEN and henceforth proclaimed, "The only daily paper covering Fidalgo Island." The ANACORTES CITIZEN began publication c. 1907 based on the ANACORTES CITIZEN masthead of April 20, 1913, which stated it was Vol. 6, No. 38. McNary's newspaper was based at 913 6th Street. He and his wife Margaret lived at 303 7th Street in 1921; by 1937 they lived at 1610 8th Street. Margaret also worked on the newspaper as a reporter. Following Joseph's death sometime between 1940 and 1948, Margaret took over and ran the newspaper.|
|Collection||Wallie Funk Collection|
Place - Anacortes, WA
|Credit line||Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection|
McNARY, Joseph O. "Joe"
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|