|Catalog Number||WF 1517|
|Caption||1949 Marineer Parade - Anacortes Veneer float|
This image from the 1949 Marineers' Pageant parade is of a float with seagulls suspended above the ocean which was sponsored by Anacortes Veneer. The lady holding "reins" to the seagulls is standing on a surfboard "surfing" in a large curl of the ocean waves. This same float was photographed by the BELLINGHAM HERALD; see WF 0343.
South Side Texaco, at 18th and Commercial, changed markedly from its appearance in the late 1930s, early 1940s; see WF 1452-1462. Note the frame house behind the gas station. The gas station that stood here when it was "Mel's Signal Service" in 1939 was either heavily remodeled or torn down and replaced with another building. South Side Texaco was first listed here in the 1948 city directory; it was also listed in 1954, but not in 1962.
|Photographer||from the BRADY, Ferd collection|
|Collection||Wallie Funk Collection|
Event - Marineer Pageant
Place - Anacortes, WA
Event - Parade
Structure - Business
Transportation - Land
|Credit line||Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection|
Anacortes Veneer, Inc.
South Side Texaco