The Platt Building on the SW corner of P/Commercial and 4th was the first brick building on Fidalgo Island. It was built by John Platt during the summer of 1890. The ANACORTES AMERICAN reported on 7-31-1890, "Platt bank building will be done in 30 days." On 10-9-1890, "The New Bank ... Fine store and Offices ... To John Platt is due the credit and honor of building and occupying the first brick block to be erected upon Fidalgo Island." Note the chimneys and roofline which are distinctly different from their appearance today. Also note the paved sidewalk. W. V. Wells, who owned the building at this time, was one of the few Commercial Avenue property owners who voluntarily paved his sidewalks. On 7-21-1904, the ANACORTES AMERICAN reported, "W. V. Wells has torn away old plank sidewalk from his business block on Commercial and replaced it with a 'fine cement walk ... Let such good work go on.' "
People, left to right: unknown woman, Ruby Raddatz, Maude Trafton McCracken, E. A. Phillips, unknown man, Harry Deane, Clerk, unknown man. Both Maude Trafton and Harry Deane worked for Phillips for several years. For other views of interior of store, see WF 0266, 0267.
Unknown store in center, Bank of Commerce at far right. 2nd floor: Dr. F. M. Dean, dentist. Eugene A. Phillips started his business in the location formerly occupied by Kasch's store c. 1901. On 9-15-1904, the ANACORTES AMERICAN reported that Phillips had moved into the space formerly occupied by Anacortes Mercantile Co. in the "Wells Building", as the Platt Building was then referred to. Phillips stayed in that location until 1912 when he moved into his new building diagonally opposite the Platt Building on the NE corner of 4th and Commercial. On 6-9-1904, the ANACORTES AMERICAN reported that the Bank of Commerce was "a living reality" in the central storefront of the Platt Building. On 5-4-1905, the paper reported, "A Strong Bank is Incorporated." The bank occupied that spot until the mid-1920s when it moved to 502 Commercial. Dr. Frances Dean was listed in the 1905 City Directory in the Wells Building. Note the sign for Cyrus Noble whiskey on the building at NW corner of 4th and Commercial; this is the Eureka Saloon. E. A. Phillips Hardware is at left. (see also WF 0117, 0018, 0136)
|Photographer||JUDD, Charles LeRoy - possibly|
Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - Business
|Credit line||Donated by Wallie Funk|
DEAN, Frances "Frank" M., Dr.
McCRACKEN, Maude TRAFTON
PHILLIPS, Eugene A.
WELLS, William Virgil, Sr., Mayor/Attorney
Bank of Commerce
Anacortes Mercantile Company
Cyrus Noble whiskey
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|