Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 0282
Caption Orca whale
Description This whale was shot in July 1914 when it got inside a fish trap operated by the Porter Fish Company. Fred Fulton, then manager of the Porter Fish Company, stated the whale "refused to leave" the trap, so the men on the trap "decided to kill him." "We improvised two harpoons but needed something more than that to complete the job. We took a large rifle and finally managed SETROCANA tow "the monster" to Anacortes. "The whale was so heavy that the SETROCANA had a hard time getting him to town. The boat listed considerably to one side when the heavy monster was lashed to it." The whale was taken to the Porter Cannery and at high tide, 10-15 men managed to get it slid onto a scow, where this picture was taken. Joe White, foreman of the Porter Fish Company in 1913 and a resident of Cordova, Alaska, in 1926 stands on the whale's fin on the left side of the photo. The other men are Tom Lancaster (steamboat engineer and old-time resident of Anacortes), Bert Butts (captain of the SETROCANA in 1914 and of the tug DANIEL KERN in 1926), and Fred Fulton, manager of Porter Fish in 1914, which was later taken over by Northwestern Fisheries; Fulton remained as manager under them as of 1926. The whale was taken to the Russian Cement Company plant, which removed the flesh and sawed off the head. Charles Judd took a picture of the whale's jaw and then Fulton took the jaw home and erected it in his yard at 1501 12th Street. Oil from the bones attracted flies, so Fulton buried the bones in his yard. In 1915 he dug them up and buried them in a vacant lot at 13th and K Avenue. The bones were discovered in July 1926, twelve years after the whale's death, in that lot when "Russell Smith was digging a basement for his new home." The bones were thought to be a prehistoric relic; the U. W. was notified and the bones were put on display in the ANACORTES AMERICAN office. Charles Judd solved the mystery when he visited the AMERICAN and pronounced the bones a "Killer Whale." After being scoffed at about his identification of the bones, Judd proceeded to go home and come back with two photos. One was of the whale's jaw after it had been removed from the whale; the other was this picture. The AMERICAN subsequently interviewed Fred Fulton to obtain the rest of the story. See 7-22-1926, ANACORTES AMERICAN.

SEE D.XV.123 for possible additional view of this whale
Date 1914, July
Photographer JUDD, Charles LeRoy
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Industry - Fishing
Natural History - Fauna
Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - dock
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
People FULTON, Fred
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Orca whale
fish trap
Porter Fish Company
Russian Cement Company
Object Name Print, Photographic