Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 1198
Caption Elks Building - Anacortes City Hall
Description The Anacortes Lodge No. 1204 of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks (BPOE) formed in 1910 with members meeting in the "top story of the Keystone Building." In August 1912 the lodge purchased this site on the NW corner of 6th and Q (904 6th Street) for $3000 and ground was broken to begin building their new lodge on 9-20-1914. This was the former site of the "Street dance pavilion." On 1-28-1915, the ANACORTES AMERICAN reported, "Elks hold formal dedication of new temple: cornerstone placed with impressive ceremony." The 5-27-1915 edition reported, "Anacortes Elks are now at home in new building." A photo of the building was also included in that issue. The building's dedication took place June 9, 1915, at which time their membership totaled 273. In 1920, due to increased membership, the lodge purchased three additional lots. On 3-25-1922 work began on an addition to the building, adding a third floor and an addition on the west side; the building reopened 8-2-1922, just in time for Anacortes' lodge of 1260 members to host the Washington State Elks Convention. By 1937, the Elks had moved from this building to 1009 7th Street. 1939 and 1940 Marineers' Pageant articles referred to this structure at that time as the "Community Building." Starting in 1939, a series of summertime community dances known as the Fishermen were held. In 1940 is also served as a Works Progress Administration (WPA) work center, as well as the Red Cross Center where women met to sew clothes and do work for the war effort. During these same years, the address of City Hall was 1107 5th Street. On September 25, 1947 Anacortes City Hall moved into the building on 6th and Q Avenue. As of 2013 City Hall is still based here. See also WF 0153, 0154, 0273, 1208, 1343-46, 1421, 1422, 1425, 1589, 1787, 2440, 2441.
Date 1930 c.
Photographer from the BRADY, Ferd collection
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure
Organization - Fraternal
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Anacortes Elks
building
City Hall
Street
dance
pavilion
Benevolent Protective Order of Elks
BPOE
Community Building
Fishermen
dances
Red Cross
Works Progress Administration
WPA
Red Cross
Washington State Elks Convention
Object Name Print, Photographic