|Caption||1107 5th Street|
Fire Hall (station) and firemen of Anacortes located at 1107 5th Street, on south side of 5th Street between O Avenue (southwest corner) and N Avenue.
Photo ran in the July 16, 1914 Anacortes American:
New Auto Fire Truck is Pride of the Department
To Anacortes is accorded the distinction of being the first city of its size in the State of Washington to equip its fire department with an auto fire truck and discarding the out-of-date horse-drawn apparatus. Here is the new auto truck, the pride of Anacortes fire ladies. It is a high powered machine and can reach a fire in any part of the city in a few minutes' time.
Above is shown the truck ready for instant service. At the wheel is Blythe McCauley, the chauffer who is a veteran member of the Anacortes department. Seated beside him is Capt. F.V. Hogan, who was the first mayor of Anacortes when the department consisted of a bucket brigade. Standing beside him is Mayor J.M. Morrison, who was active in securing the new apparatus as a friend of the boys. Standing beside the truck is Fire Chief Aubrey Sumner, who has brought the Anacortes department up to its present high standard of efficiency. First Assistant Chief Russell Smith, First Lieutenant Fred Fisher, of hose company No. 2, and Chief Nozzleman Ewart Leadbetter are other fire fighters in the picture.
Fire engines & equipment
|Credit line||Donated by Vladimir Seman, Brian and Melody Seman, and Larry LaRue, 2005|
HOGAN, Frank V., Capt./Mayor
MORRISON, John M.
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|