|Caption||Weaverling Spit road|
Charles Judd photo of wagon bridge over Fidalgo Bay, taken from Weaverling Spit. The spit was named for James and Frances Weaverling who settled on the west side of Fidalgo Bay in the late-1870s. It became a popular picnic and camping spot in the early 1900s, often called Sunrise Park, and served as the meeting place for many Old Settler's Picnics (Pioneer Picnic). The view looks east towards March's Point. Massey farm is visible on west side of March's Point, just above, and to the right of entrance to bridge. The Fidalgo wagon bridge was built in 1890. The 3-4-1890 ANACORTES AMERICAN reported, "Work will begin tomorrow on the construction of a wagon bridge alongside the RR bridge at the head of Fidalgo Bay at Munk's place, Mr. Tebo has the contract." Crossing the bridge with horse and buggy could be treacherous at times. The 9-6-1914 ANACORTES AMERICAN reported that Almina Compton Robinson, daughter of March's Point's first settler, Enoch Compton, was crossing the bridge in a wagon when her horse spooked halfway across. She tried to lead it across, but it reared up, struck her, and she died of her injuries. Published in 8-6-1959 ANACORTES AMERICAN Pioneer Edition, sect. 2-7; "Skagit Settlers", p. 4; 8-20-1997 ANACORTES AMERICAN. Margaret Willis's handwriting is on lower right corner of rear of photo.
Can attach this photo with D.X.028.002 for a panoramic view.
|Photographer||JUDD, C. L. (Charles LeRoy)|
Place - Fidalgo Island
Structure - Bridge
Transportation - Railroad
ROBINSON, Almina Compton
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|