Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 0316
Description View of Cap Sante marina. Morrison Mill yard is at left of image. The city developed the Cap Sante Boat Haven just as the Great Depression (1929-1940) took hold of the Anacortes economy. Prior to its creation, fishing boats relied on the "City Float", located at the foot of Q Avenue on the Guemes Channel; see WF 0178. By 1929 a new float was needed as reported in the 1-3-1929, ANACORTES AMERICAN. "Chamber talks for new float ... At present there is no place for the home-owned boats to land and we need it for the island people to land here ... The street-end now occupied by the Guemes ferry could be used if the ferry would move their slip to the south half of the street. This would allow the Morrison Mill to go ahead and build their dock." Harry Rickaby, in charge of the float, had not "kept it up" because of the Morrison Mill's talk of building a new dock. Revenue had also not been large enough to "put in new pilings torn out be recent storm." The 9-18-1930, issue reported, "Berthings for small fishing craft sought." Government is investigating needs for "land-locked harbor at Cap Sante." Plans include widening of Cap Sante waterway 100' and dredging of huge area north of present waterway for small craft. "Although Anacortes is logical center for the fishing fleet, no provision has ever been made for the accommodation of these boats ... This new project will give this city the best land-locked harbor north of Seattle." The 11-6-1930, paper further reported, "Dredging operations are completed in quick time at Cap Sante." Work on the new berthing quarters for fishing boats awaits piles being driven. 540' of dredged area will be put into use this fall; the remaining 360' will be completed in spring. The 1932 Anacortes High School annual advertised the Cap Sante Boat Haven, "Moderate charges; complete protection." This view of Cap Sante Marina was taken not long before 1955 when Mike Demopoulos, owner of Marine Hardware and Supple, donated a large piece of property near the Cap Sante Boat Haven to the Port of Anacortes, which secured a federal grant to dredge the waterway for a new marina.
Date 1949/. /
Photographer BOWER, George W.
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place - Anacortes, WA
Place - Cap Sante Marina
Transportation - Maritime
Industry - Fishing
Industry - Mill - Lumber
Transportation - Land
Recreation
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Cap Sante Marina
Morrison Mill yard
Cap Sante Boat Haven
fishing boats
Guemes ferry
pilings
fishing fleet
dredging
Port of Anacortes
Object Name Print, Photographic