Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 0429
Caption White Crest Canning Co.
Description White Crest Cannery was located at the foot of L Avenue and 4th, on Guemes Channel. Built 1898-1899 by W.A. Lowman as a clam cannery. Converted to salmon cannery in 1905. Cannery expanded over the years. In 1907 Lowman renamed it the Coast Fish Company. Sold to Far West Fisheries in 1936. Photo taken by Anacortes photographer, Charles Judd, to promote the proposed Anacortes, Sedro-Woolley and Eastern Railroad, a line which was never built. The photographs of Skagit Valley scenes from Anacortes to Concrete, were published in an undated book titled, "Views Along the Line of the Proposed Anacortes, Sedro-Wooley & Eastern Railway, C.L. Judd Photo, Anacortes, Wash." The following article, found in the 7/3/1913, ANACORTES AMERICAN, helps date the images. "Anacortes & Eastern Railroad is progressing. Reports from Whidbey and LaConner indicate that surveys and preliminary work for the new Anacortes & Eastern are progressing rapidly." Date of this image is based on that publication although Judd used the earlier name of the cannery.
Date 1910 c
Photographer JUDD, Charles LeRoy
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Industry - Fishing
Place - Anacortes, WA
Photograph
Structure - Business
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms White Crest Canning Company
Coast Fish Company
Far West Fisheries
clam cannery
salmon cannery
Anacortes, Sedro-Woolley & Eastern Railroad
Object Name Print, Photographic