Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 1815.A,B,C
Caption MIlitary "Pick Up" Station
Description This "Pick Up" station for servicemen was located on the southwest side of Sharpe's Corner (then called Dean's Corner) at the current junction of Highway 20 and 20 Spur (Paul Luvera Memorial Highway) in front of the 2009 site of Fidalgo Country Inn. This station was sponsored by the Anacortes Lions Club to help sailors trying to get to and from the Whidbey Island Naval Base. Due to gas rationing and restricted travel, hitchhiking was one of the few ways for military men to travel. The two sailors are unidentified; the man in the middle is Harry Cornell, member of the Anacortes Lions Club. See also WF 1816. The Anacortes Lions Club was chartered on January 7, 1937, primarily by young men in the community who wanted an alternative to the older fraternal organizations (Elks, Eagles, Oddfellows) that were more for "the old timers and Commercial Avenue businessmen". This information was given by Margaret Hull, wife of the club's first president, on 3-29-2003. The national Lions Club organization was begun by Chicago businessman Melvin Jones in Chicago in 1917. "He believed that local business clubs should expand their horizons from purely professional concerns to the betterment of their communities and the world at large."
Photographer from the BRADY, Ferd collection
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place -Anacortes, WA
People
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
People CORNELL, Harry
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Military
Pick up station
Lions Club
Sharpe's Corner
Dean's Corner
Paul Luvera Memorial Highway
Fidalgo Country Inn
Whidbey Island Naval Base
Hitchhiking
Gas rationing
Object Name Print, Photographic