Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 0983.A,B
Caption Bicycling on Commercial Avenue
Description Photo of the Anacortes Bicycle Club. Valentine and Barbara Funk are at far left with their son, Wallie (Sr.), on the handlebars. Anacortes experienced a "bicycle frenzy" in the 1890s, as did the rest of the country, resulting in the formation of this club. The frenzy resulted from the work of the "League of American Wheelmen" who had organized in 1880 to lobby American communities for better roads for biking. Their passion for riding soon sparked a new craze across the United States. The 1890s saw everyone taking to the two-wheeled contraption including those of Fidalgo Island. In 1893, W. W. W. Bicycles opened on March's Point; owner C. E.Ingalls offered "special Prices to Clergymen" in an ad in the 4-20-1893 ANACORTES AMERICAN. Bicycles even provided a source of revenue for the city of Anacortes. The 7-56-1893 paper reported, "Tax on bikes of $1.00 each to go into bicycle fund." For more information, see FIRST VIEWS: AN EARLY HISTORY OF SKAGIT COUNTY.
Date 1891
Photographer unknown
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place -Anacortes, WA
People
Transportation - Land
Recreation
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
People CLAGHORN, Lila Beard
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms bicycle
Anacortes Bicycle Club
League of American Wheelmen
W. W. W. Bicycles
The Racket
Huntoon Building
Object Name Print, Photographic