The Wilson Hotel Bar was located in the Wilson Building at 8th and Commercial. John Miltenberger is visible at far right; he was the brother of Barbara Funk who owned the building with her husband Valentine Funk. On 7-7-1904, the ANACORTES AMERICAN announced that John Miltenberger had arrived to "take charge of Wilson Hotel." Wallie Funk remembers calling the man "Uncle Ton." Sam Mendelson is to the left of Miltenberger. Numerous bars have occupied the ground floor of the Wilson Building since the structure was built in 1890, most notably in the southern most storefront.
1893 [5-4] "E. S. Dodge has retired from management of the Wilson Hotel and E. Moyer of the
Keystone has taken his place. Mr. Moyer has engaged an experienced cook and will
conduct the hotel proper and restaurant while Henry Kautzman, late of the Kentucky
liquor house, will carry on the saloon and bar."
[11-23] "Henry Kautzman has leased bar and billiard parlors of Wilson Hotel and this
popular resort was again thrown open to the public during the week."
1902 [6-7] "The Place is one of the most magnificently furnished saloons in the N. W. and its
owners, Messrs. Smith and Hinman, displayed good judgment in fixing up their place of
business in such an attractive way. Located in the Wilson Hotel block."
1909 [1-21] The Senate Bar. Pat O'Brien bartender, Wilson Hotel Building
See WF 3399 for view from opposite end of room.
Business - bar
Place - Anacortes, WA
|Credit line||Donated by Wallie Funk|
Wilson Hotel Bar
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|