|Catalog Number||WF 2241.A,B|
|Caption||Coast Guard Station 12 baseball team|
This image is of the Coast Guard Station 12 baseball team. Left to right: Eddie Lendt, Left field; Clearance Myers, right field; Bennie Newton, Pitcher; Barney ___, center field; ___ Vanlac, 3rd base; Bill Hudgins, catcher; Walt Brown, short stop, Roy Layman, 1st base; Maurice Surett, 2nd base; Bos'n Ludviksen, Coach; Billy Newton "Mascot". The team is photographed standing at the athletic field located between 15th and 17th on the east side of Commercial. The fence and lumberyard of Morrison Mill is visible in the rear. This was the traditional site on the Anacortes "baseball park" as mentioned in the 7-6-1893 ANACORTES AMERICAN. Note "Cypress Ice Cream and Beverages" scoreboard in rear. Cypress products were available through the Anacortes Ice Company as early as 1911. The name came from the Ice Company's line of bottled mineral water, which it obtained from a spring on Cypress Island. The 10-12-1911 paper reported that the Ice Company had, "50 gallons of ice cream made daily during summer."
Coast Guard Station 12 was established in Anacortes in December 1924 and served the region until July 1933 when the station was closed following the repeal of Prohibition. At that point, the Anacortes and Port Angeles stations consolidated into one at Port Townsend according to the 12-12-1932 paper.Between 1924 and 1933 the Coast Guard baseball team played often before the Anacortes community. The 6-18-1931 paper reported, "Big Bill Hudgins, the Coast Guard catcher, stated: "Colorful Coast Guard catcher gets Bronx cheer from fans." The Coast Guard team left Anacortes with the station's demise. It is unknown if a Coast Guard team was reinstated when the station reopened in Anacortes during World War II.
Baseball appeared early on Fidalgo Island. A form of the game was played in the 1820s with the first formal rules established in 1845. By 1875 it was being played in Whatcom County, which at that time included Skagit County. On 8-3-1889 the ANACORTES PROGRESS reported on a baseball game at Anacortes. By the following year, with the boom of the town, several baseball clubs had been formed, including an Indian club. In its report on the July 4th festivities in town, the 7-10-1890 ANACORTES AMERICAN stated, "The game was for $50.00 and the prize was won by the Indians." By that time, Anacortes had a "baseball park." It was located near the Skagit Mill (future Morrison Mill at 17th and R) as evidenced by this 7-6-1893 ANACORTES AMERICAN article. "Last week a junior base ball nine called the White Caps engaged in a baseball contest with the shingle weavers of the town and were victorious by score of 21 to 9. Game played in field near Skagit Mill." That field served ball players until well into the 1930s. By 1905 the town had numerous teams, among them the Anacortes Invincibles. It was just one of many town teams, most sponsored by merchants, that provided hours of entertainment to townspeople during the spring and summer months in an era when television radio and computers were not yet in use.
|Collection||Wallie Funk Collection|
Place - Anacortes
|Credit line||Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection|
Coast Guard Station 12
Cypress Ice Cream and Beverages
Anacortes Ice Company
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|