Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 1308
Caption 1935 Zion Lutheran Church confirmation class
Description There were several different congregations of Lutherans on Fidalgo Island. Norwegian Lutherans organized their own church in Anacortes in 1909 and soon built their church at 20th and O Avenue. In 1936, this congregation merged with the Swedish Lutherans of Zion Lutheran Church who had built their church at 21st and O Avenue by 1911. Sometime during this period, Our Savior's Norwegian Lutheran Church of Lake Campbell also merged with the Anacortes Norwegian Lutheran congregation. In 1942, the congregation changed the church's name to Anacortes Lutheran Church; see WF 1555, 1560. This confirmation class from the Zion Lutheran Church of 1935 includes: Front, left to right - Fern Schull, Orville Benson, unknown, unknown, ____ Peterson. Back row - Harriet Horn (married Rydberg), unknown, Irene Jacobson, Minister, Alice Johnson, Helen Elvebak (married Leonard Smith), Irene Schillios, Josephine Carolan (Rogers).
Date 1935
Photographer from the BRADY, Ferd collection
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Organization - Church
People
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
People BENSON, Orville
CAROLAN, Josephine ROGERS
ELVEBAK, Helen
HORN, Harriet
JACOBSON, Irene
JOHNSON, Alice
PETERSON,
SCHILLIOS, Irene Pearl
SCHULL, Fern
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms confirmation class
Our Savior's Norwegian Lutheran Church
Donnell road
Swedish Lutherans of Zion Lutheran Church
Anacortes Norwegian Lutheran
Anacortes Lutheran Church
Minister
Object Name Print, Photographic