Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 2232
Caption Anacortes Lumber & Box, American Legion Post 13
Description This image of baseball players from Anacortes Lumber & Box and American Legion Post 13. The photo was taken on the Anacortes High School field.

Baseball appeared early on Fidalgo Island. A form of the game was played in the 1820s with the first formal rules established in 1845. By 1875 it was being played in Whatcom County, which at that time included Skagit County. On 8-3-1889 the ANACORTES PROGRESS reported on a baseball game at Anacortes. By the following year, with the boom of the town, several baseball clubs had been formed, including an Indian club which found that the ball field afforded them one of the few areas where they could compete on their merits in white society. In its report on the July 4th festivities in town, the 7-10-1890 ANACORTES AMERICAN stated, "The game was for $50.00 and the prize was won by the Indians." By that time, Anacortes had a "baseball park." It was located near the Skagit Mill (future Morrison Mill at 17th and R) as evidenced by this 7-6-1893 ANACORTES AMERICAN article. "Last week a junior base ball nine called the White Caps engaged in a baseball contest with the shingle weavers of the town and were victorious by score of 21 to 9. Game played in field near Skagit Mill." That field served ball players until well into the 1930s. By 1905 the town had numerous teams, among them the Anacortes Invincibles. It was just one of many town teams, most sponsored by merchants, that provided hours of entertainment to townspeople during the spring and summer months in an era when television radio and computers were not yet in use.
Date 1930s - 1940s
Photographer BRADY, Ferd
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place - Anacortes
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms baseball
Anacortes Lumber & Box Co.
American Legion
Post 13
Object Name Print, Photographic