|Catalog Number||WF 5856|
|Caption||Marineers' Pageant Parade c. 1941|
The Marineers' Pageant was an annual Anacortes summer even which was held each July from 1937-1941, 1947-1949, and 1957.The huge undertaking, mounted by the city's business community, resulted in thousands of visitors, and their dollars, coming to Anacortes. Events during those years included Indian canoe races, a Mass Wedding at Causland Park in 1938, a "Cat-putter-outer Contest", pageant royalty, water events off the Marine Stadium (amphitheater) located on Cap Sante, and, of course, the parades. One parade was for children, and the other was for floats, marching bands, and other units.
"Open your hearts" is the theme of this float sponsored by the Orthopedic Guild. This image shows a float passing in front of the Peoples Bank at 5th and Commercial. The Anacortes Auxiliary of Seattle's Children's Orthopedic Hospital Guild was named for Dr. S. B. Brooks, a physician who practiced in Anacortes from 1912 until his death c. 1944. The importance of the Orthopedic Hospital's auxiliary guilds in providing accessible medical care for the Fidalgo Island community cannot be overstated. The guild raised funds that were vital to the operation of Children's Orthopedic, which then served the children of all of Washington's outlying communities in time of medical need. Children's Orthopedic was founded by Seattle women in 1907 and built on the devoted labor of thousands of women across Washington State through the guild system. Because of that system, many children from Fidalgo Island were treated at Children's, regardless of race, creed, color, or eligibility to pay. Guilds raised money through a variety of mechanisms from the annual Penny Drive to fashion shows, teas, and dances.
|Collection||Wallie Funk Collection|
Place - Anacortes
Event - Marineers' Pageant
Event - Parade
Transportation - Land
|Credit line||Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection|
Orthopedic Guild float