W. T. PRESTON, taken of the full length of the port side, facing southwest, at 703 - R Avenue. Shows the stern wheel in full view to the boom. Bow of boat in in full view. Photo was taken from spot that presently houses the Snagboat Heritage Center.
The wood-hulled snagboat W. T. PRESTON was built c. 1929, using some components (sternwheel and engines) of the vessel it replaced, the SWINOMISH. The W. T. PRESTON, named for the only civilian engineer then working for the Corps of Engineers, served the Corps form 1929 to 1939, pulling snags out of Puget Sound waterways and local rivers. A new steel-hulled, 163' W. T. PRESTON was then built at the Lake Union Drydock in Seattle, again using material from the wooden boat it replaced. In 1981 the W. T. PRESTON, "last Puget Sound sternwheeler" was retired. She went on display in Anacortes in 1983.
|Date||c. 5/2003 - 7/2003|
|Photographer||SMITH, Edgar C.|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|