Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 0229.A,B,C,D
Caption Commercial and 3rd
Description View looks south on Commercial/P from 3rd Street. Wood frame building at right, foreground, housed the Joker Saloon, opened by Con Sullivan at SW corner of 3rd and P in May 1890. Two buildings south, on NW corner of 4th and P, was the Eureka Saloon. Directly south, on SW corner of 4th and P, the Platt Building is visible. On left side of photo, Vendome Hotel is visible at corner of 6th And P. Excellent view of this portion of Commercial/P Avenue. Note light poles and worn condition of planked street; in 1902, Anacortes City Council passed a resolution to improve Commercial Avenue from Ocean Dock to 11th Street. Old planking was to be replaced from foot of Commercial to 3rd Street; from 3rd to 11th, the planking would be removed entirely and replaced by "cement gravel." Work began that summer and the existence of planking on this section of Commercial dates photo to pre-1902.
Date 1901 c.
Photographer Unknown
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place - Anacortes, WA
People
Transportation - Land
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms planking
Commercial Avenue
P Avenue
Joker Saloon
Eureka Saloon
Platt Building
Vendome Hotel
light poles
Anacortes City Council
Ocean Dock
cement gravel
Object Name Print, Photographic