Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 1011.A,B
Caption Knapp and Ronneberger sign
Description This sign was painted on the side of Knapp & Ronneberger's brick building at 9th and Commercial. In the foreground is a miniature golf course operated by the business. Ed Knapp came to Anacortes in 1896; in 1898 he opened Knapp Bicycle Shop at Commercial and 7th. In 1902 Knapp expanded his business, becoming E. L. Knapp Bicycle and Machine Shop. In 1907, Knapp teamed up with Ben Ronneberger, converted his machine shop to an auto garage, and opened Knapp & Ronneberger Garage; this was supposedly the first Ford dealership in the state and was on 6th Street between Commercial and O avenues; see the 4-29-1981 ANACORTES AMERICAN. From 1923-1937, city directories listed the business at 902-904 Commercial Avenue; there are no listing from 1939 on. Ed Knapp died in July 1960; see also WF 0161, 0162.
Date 1930s - c. mid
Photographer BRADY, Ferd
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place -Anacortes, WA
Structure - Business
Transportation - Land
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Knapp & Ronneberger sign
Knapp Bicycle Shop
E. L. Knapp Bicycle and Machine Shop
Ford dealership
service station
garage
Shell
Object Name Print, Photographic