Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 0261.007
Caption Federal Building
Description NE corner of Commercial and 6th. The move to have a new "Federal Building" constructed in Anacortes began in 1928 when the Anacortes Chamber of Commerce passed a resolution to formally request the construction of a "Federal Building" in Anacortes, something that was being done in other small communities such as Bellingham. See the 4-12-1928, and 2-13-1930, ANACORTES AMERICAN issues. In 1936 the Federal government finally allocated $14,800 for the purchase of land at 6th and Commercial Avenue for new "Federal Building," which would include the new post office which was located at 715 Commercial at that time. Construction began at the NE corner of Commercial and 6th in October 1937. The construction engineer was Harry Lackore; T. D. MacNeil of Mt. Vernon was the contractor. The dedication ceremony was 8-4-1938.
Photographer CRAM, Hal - possibly
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - Federal Building
Transportation - Land
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Federal Building
dedication
Object Name Print, Photographic