Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 1109
Caption Verna Wells music studio
Description This view of the Verna Wells Music Studio. Wells (1894-1979) was the wife of Anacortes attorney and Washington state legislator William V. Wells. They married in 1916. Mr. Wells had been widowed in 1898 when his wife Daisy died after giving birth to twin boys who also died. Verna Wells graduated from Whitman Conservatory of Music in Walla Walla. "She was a teacher of piano and organ for many years and was active in music circles around the state" according to her daughter-in-law, Barbara Wells in December 2002. Verna taught music lessons "almost until she died." Barbara Wells thought Verna's music studio was located in the "Wells Building" (Platt Building) at the southwest corner of 4th and Commercial during the 1930s. Verna's husband, W. V. Wells, owned that building, now known by its original owners' name, the Platt Building. The 1962 City Directory listed her studio at 508 1/2 Commercial, on the second floor of the Goodwin Benedict Havekost Building, also owned by the Wells. See WF 1110 for another view of the studio. See WF 0787 for a photo of her "Rhythm Band". Also see Wallie Funk photos of Wells playing piano and organ at the dedication of the remodeled Peoples Bank in 1958 and at the All-America City Banquet on May 11, 1961.
Date 1920s c. late
Photographer from the BRADY, Ferd collection
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - Business
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Verna Wells Music Studio
music teacher
piano
organ
Wells Building
Platt Building
Goodwin Benedict Havekost Building
rhythm band
Object Name Negative