Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 1435
Caption Marineer Parade - fire engine
Description This image of the Marineers' Pageant Parade is of a fire engine followed by a group of Indians. Note the "A. F. D." on the front of the engine. It is an excellent view of the west side of Commercial between 5th and 6th. Businesses and buildings L - R: Bank of Commerce (1926), Snyder's Pharmacy (1926), Goodwin-Benedict-Havekost Building (1891) with Amsberry's Cafe, Foss Building (1903) with Buster Brown Shoes. Buster Brown began business c. 1921 at 704 Commercial and moved to this address at 516 Commercial by 1934 through the mid-1940s. Next are the Pioneer Building (1898), Shannon Building (1899) on the southwest corner of 6th and Commercial. The Bank of Commerce building at the right edge of photo is of particular note. The bank began in the Platt (Wells) Building in 1904 and moved to the southwest corner of Commercial and 5th in 1926 after William McCracken constructed that building, and the one just south of it occupied by Snyder's Pharmacy. In 1937, at the height of the Depression, the Bank of Commerce closed. The building remained vacant for two years, and in 1939 it was occupied by People's National Bank.
Date 1937
Photographer from the BRADY, Ferd collection
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Event - Marineer Pageant
Place - Anacortes, WA
People
Event - Parade
Structure - Business
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Marineers' Pageant
Parade
Platt Building
Bank of Commerce
Wells Building
Snyder's Pharmacy
Goodwin-Benedict-Havekost Building
Amsberry's Cafe
Foss Building
Buster Brown Shoes
Pioneer Building
Shannon Building
People's National Bank
fire engine
Indians
Object Name Print, Photographic