Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 2057.A,B
Caption Puget Sound Pulp and Timber
Description Puget Sound Pulp and Timber. Mill was located at 17th Street and R Avenue, Anacortes, WA. The January 20, 1927 ANACORTES AMERICAN reported that "Pulp industry on west coast started in Anacortes." Article was apparently referring to Fidalgo Pulp Manufacturing Company at 17th and R, just south of the Morrison Mill. On November 27, 1924, the ANACORTES AMERICAN reported that "Erection of pulp mill in city will start at once," and that the mill was being brought in by subscription. January 8, 1925, ANACORTES AMERICAN announced: "Erection of pulp plant building begins Friday: Fidalgo Pulp Manufacturing Company." December 26, 1926 issue reads: "Fidalgo Pulp Mill doing well after first successful year." August 16, 1928 ANACORTES AMERICAN reported the mill was about to expand, [see "Chamber spends thousand on advertising."]. By the following year, however, the mill had been bought out by Puget Sound Pulp and Timber, which established its "Fidalgo Division" at the mill and renamed it. By 1948, Coos Bay Pulp had taken over the mill and operated there until c. late-1950s; it was gone by the 1962 city directory. This image was a postcard view and it is labeled, "#18, Pulp Mill, Anacortes, Wash. Brady." The Morrison Mill complex is at left, [see smokestack and water tank labeled "Morrison Mill Co."], and behind it, Cap Sante. Train tracks run across the foreground of this photograph. Water tower at the right is a landmark in many Anacortes photos. See also: WF 2058, WF 2059.
Date 1930's c.
Photographer BRADY, Ferd
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Industry - Mill
Structure
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Puget Sound Pulp and Timber
Fidalgo Pulp
Morrison Mill
Coos Bay Pulp
17th Street
R Avenue
waterfront
Fidalgo Bay
Cap Sante
tracks
Object Name Print, photographic