The WAWONA schooner was built in Fairhaven, CA, by H.D. Bendixsen for the Dolbeer & Carson Lumber Co. at the cost of $29,000. She was launched September 12, 1897. In 1914 the WAWONA was purchased by Robinson Fisheries of Anacortes (where Lovric's Sea-Craft is now), and refitted as a traditional "Mother Ship" for traditional handline cod fishing. Her first cargo was 396,211 board feet of redwood lumber, 110,000 common shingles, 5,000 fancy shingles and 113,300 shakes. Cargo was shipped to such places as Chile and Fiji. Eventually steam ships replaced the schooners as lumber haulers. As a cod fishing schooner, she sailed to the Bering Sea each spring with a crew of 30-plus returning with a hold full of salted cod, which was unloaded at Robinson Fisheries.
Maritime - Boat
Industry - Fishing
|Credit line||Donated by David Wright, 2008|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic, copy|