|Catalog Number||WF 2144|
|Caption||Deception Pass monument|
This monument is located on the east side of Pass Island at the automobile pullout. It was set by the Ann Washington Chapter (Mount Vernon) of the Daughters of the American Revolution. The women had assistance from the renowned Professor Edmond Meany from the University of Washington. There is correspondence regarding this plaque in the Meany collection at the UW; see Record Group 86-34 in the Meany Collection: Landmarks and Monuments. On 3-4-1935, Mrs. Fred Massar of the Mount Vernon DAR wrote Meany regarding the text to be placed on the monument, text which Meany provided. In his reply to Massar, Meany wrote, "Two reasons require extreme brevity in an inscription for a bronze tablet: First - each letter costs money; Second - travelers will not pause to read a long one." Meany died the following month and the 8-5-1935 SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER reported that the Deception Pass marker was "one of his last acts of Edmond Meany before his death." This is a postcard view labeled, "Monument - Memorial Plaque - Deception Pass - Anacortes, Wash., Brady, #70."
Before a bridge spanned the waters of Deception Pass, a ferry system transported travelers between Bout's Point (now called Yokeko Point) on Fidalgo Island and Hoypus Point on Whidbey Island. The idea for the Deception Pass Bridge came from Captain George Morse. As a State Representative in 1907, Morse introduced into the Legislature a bill authorizing construction of a bridge over the pass. Although the bill passed and money was appropriated, the measure was later thrown out of the Legislature. In 1928, a Whidbey Island citizen's group organized another unsuccessful attempt to build the bridge. A new bill, introduced and passed by the Legislature in 1933, finally led to the construction of the bridge. Funding was provided by the Washington Emergency Relief Administration, Island and Skagit Counties, and the Federal Public Works Administration. The contract to build the bridge was awarded to Puget Construction Company on June 22, 1934. Workers started excavation for the pier supports on August 6, 1934, and completed the construction on July 25, 1935. 12,000 people celebrated the opening of the bridge at the dedication ceremony on July 31, 1935.
|Collection||Wallie Funk Collection|
Structure - Bridge
|Credit line||Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection|
Deception Pass bridge
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|