|Caption||1949-1950 4th & 5th grade students, Fidalgo School|
copy of photo #433-A, of a class of students and teacher standing on the steps at Fidalgo School located at March's Point.
Mrs. Ada Cartee, 4th & 5th grades, 1949-1950
Row 1: Mary Lou Brannick, Sharon Mason, Donna Jensen, Marlene Buer, Adelle Forrest, Patty Brannick, Lois ?__
Row 2: Fred March, Nels Cederstrand, Terry Keyes, Gustav "Skippy" Dagg, Albert Howard
Row 3: Virgil Taylor, Peggy Thomas, Charles Smith, ?, Richard____, Nancy Smith, Jackie Mason
Row 4: Dwight Mitchell, Annice Roundtree, Delbert Burner, Jean Hauber, Bobby Cassidy
The first Fidalgo School was built on March's Point in 1868. It was a one room log cabin 20' x 30' in size. The second school was built in 1890 where the southern refinery is now located. The third Fidalgo school, built in 1917, was a 2-story building. In the 1950s a basement was dug and the school house was moved over the top of it. Then in 1957, when the refineries came to Fidalgo Island, school #4 was built on 15 acres on Gibraltar Road. That school became part of the Anacortes School District instead of being it's own district, and the name was changed to Fidalgo Elementary School. The new school housed grades 1-6 (with a consideration for kindergarten), had 12 rooms and a gymnasium. The present (2006) Fidalgo School, considered the 5th one, was remodeled and an addition done to school #4 and open in time for the September 1996 classes.
|Credit line||Donated by F. Jean Nelson|
BRANNICK, Mary Lou
MARCH, Fred H.
DAGG, Gustav "Skippy"
HOWARD, Albert "Al"
CASSIDY, Robert "Bobby"
|Object Name||print, photographic|