|Catalog Number||WF 6166|
|Caption||Anacortes Hotel - east side and NE corner|
Wallie Funk photographed the decaying Anacortes Hotel several different times. This photo of the northeast corner and east side is from 1963.
The Anacortes Hotel was built on the SW corner of 8th and J in 1890 by George Kyle, owner of Kyle Sawmill (which was later incorporated as Fidalgo Mill Company). On 5-15-1890, the ANACORTES AMERICAN reported, " 'Hotel Anacortes'. This very substantial structure is being erected at the SW corner of 8th and J". The hotel opened to the public in January 1891 with a grand ball. The 1-29-1891 issue gave an excellent description of the building. "Hotel Anacortes to be opened to the public Saturday, 8th and J; 45' x 100', four stories, First story is Dining Room, storeroom and lobby, bar and billiard rooms, reception room and office. NE corner occupied by First National Bank. Forty rooms above; Rates for hotel will be $2.50 and $4.00 per day." On 9-3-1891, the paper reported, "Hotel Anacortes, J. L. DeVoin Manager; The hotel is most advantageously located for summer tourists, being situated on one of the healthiest sites of the city and commanding a charming view of the surrounding scenery, combining the contrasts of the snowy summits of Mt. Baker in the distance with the perpetual beauty of spring lining the numerous islands of the lower sound." The hotel was open less than a year when a collapse of the boom saw Seattle National Bank foreclose the building and all the furniture was auctioned off. "For a number of years, people were allowed to live in the building without paying rent, simply for the purpose of keeping up the insurance." In 1901, Seattle National Bank sold the building for $1000 and taxes ($3000) to a syndicate of Judge Million, Grant Neal, W. V. Wells, and Gus Hensler. Around 1908 Will Lowman bought the interest of Million and Neal and Wells bought out Hensler's interest. On 2-29-1912, the paper reported that Lowman purchased all of Wells' interest. An article on 7-6-1923 reported, "Hotel is put in good shape." W. A. Lowman repaired and remodeled the hotel, two floors of apartments were filled, and the walls and roof were completely renewed; it was now a three story building. As of 4-18-1963, the building was owned by Mike Demopoulos and used for storage. In July 1984 the building was purchased by Seattle Dutchman Associates of Seattle from the Demopoulos estate. On 8-9-1989, it was reported that the building was demolished. In its lifetime it housed the First National Bank (Hotel Anacortes) 1891-c.1893 (James McNaught , director), Whitney School (1907-1912), and Anacortes Business College (1904-06). See also WF 0055, 0069, and Anacortes Illustrated, c. 1892.
|Photographer||FUNK, Wallie Valentine [Jr]|
|Collection||Wallie Funk Collection|
Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - Business
Structure - Residence
|Credit line||Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection|