Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 0547
Caption Fidalgo Bay bridges
Description Charles Judd photo of two bridges over Fidalgo Bay, taken from Weaverling Spit. The spit was named for James and Frances Weaverling who settled on the west side of Fidalgo Bay in the late-1870s. It became a popular picnic and camping spot in the early 1900s, often called Sunrise Park, and served as the meeting place for many Old Settler's Picnics (Pioneer Picnic). The view looks east towards March's Point. The wagon bridge, left, was built in 1890. The 3-4-1890, ANACORTES AMERICAN reported, "Work will begin tomorrow on the construction of a wagon bridge alongside the RR bridge at the head of Fidalgo Bay at Munk's place, Mr. Tebo has the contract." Munks farm is visible at end of wagon bridge. The railroad bridge, at right, was built by the Seattle and Northern Railroad in the summer of 1890. The 8-3-1889, ANACORTES PROGRESS reported on the progress of the railroad bridge and stated, "Piling for long bridge across Fidalgo Bay will soon be completed." The Enoch Compton farm is visible to left of railroad bridge where it meets March's Point. Published in 8-6-1959, ANACORTES AMERICAN Pioneer Edition, sect. 2-7.
Date 1910 c.
Photographer JUDD, C. L. (Charles LeRoy)
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Photograph
Place - Fidalgo Island
Transportation - Railroad
Structure - Bridge
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Fidalgo Island, WA
Search Terms March's Point
Weaverling Spit
railroad bridge
wagon bridge
Munks farm
Seattle and Northern Railroad
piling
Fidalgo Bay
Compton farm
Object Name Print, Photographic