|Catalog Number||WF 1736|
|Caption||Salmon Derby - raffle prize|
The Salmon Derby began in August 1937, sponsored by the Anacortes Chamber of Commerce. This view shows Gus Dalstead, far right, and a man and woman standing next to a Reinell motor boat, the grand prize for the winning salmon caught. A row of salmon hang in front of the boat. The sign says, "50 cent membership ticket wins this 18' Reinell inboard boat, Anacortes Chamber of Commerce." The 8-24-1939 ANACORTES AMERICAN reported that Walter Mercer of Mt. Vernon won the boat and a "completely equipped skiff." It is not known if this was the same boat. The salmon derby was held until at least 1941.
This photo was taken in front of Dybbro's Grocery and the Maryland Cafe. Dybbro's Meats and Grocery was located at 318 Commercial from c. 1937-39. He moved to 15th and Commercial in 1941 according to the 6-26-1941 paper, and was at 32nd and Commercial in 1948; see WF 1254, 1439. Maryland Cafe was located at 314 Commercial from 1922 - c. 1940. By 1948 the cafe had moved to 1712 Commercial. It was listed there through the 1962 directory, but was not listed in the 1975 directory. See WF 1114. For another view of this block and these businesses, see WF 1254.
The promotion of Anacortes by organized business groups began soon after the city was platted in January 1890. The 1-18-1890 ANACORTES PROGRESS reported the incorporation of the first booster group, the Anacortes Improvement Club. Six months later, on June 26, 1890, the ANACORTES AMERICAN announced the Chamber of Commerce would build their meeting hall on P/Commercial Avenue. April of 1892 saw the formation of the Anacortes Business Men's Association. The Anacortes Board of Trade formed in January 1893, followed by the Anacortes Commercial Club in April 1901, and, finally the Anacortes Merchants Association in September 1903. The Merchants Association was apparently formed in opposition to the efforts of the Commercial Club, but the latter ended up being the club with longevity, judging from articles in the ANACORTES AMERICAN; see 1-19-1893, 4-4-1901, and 9-10-1903 issues of the paper. Support from the business community for the Commercial Club appears to have been a bit slow in coming, however. Three years after it formed, the 7-6-1906 paper reported, "Commercial Club meets, now has 70, will become active working body." This organization may have changed its name in later years to become the Anacortes Chamber of Commerce, which was in existence by 1912. The Chamber actively supported the town's merchants, worked to attract business and industry, and promoted Anacortes in Washington State business circles. During the first decades of the twentieth century, the Chamber played a key role in local government decisions and politics as well. Ferd Brady was very active in the Chamber of Commerce during his years in Anacortes. The 6-23-1933 paper reported he had suggested an "advertising folder" with photographs to promote Anacortes and Fidalgo Island tourism. He took numerous publicity photos for the Chamber's benefit and use, and many found their way to Seattle newspapers for publication.
|Photographer||from the BRADY, Ferd collection|
|Collection||Wallie Funk Collection|
Place - Anacortes, WA
Event - Salmon Derby
|Credit line||Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection|
DALSTEAD, Gustaf "Gus" N.
Reinell inboard boat
Dybbro's Meats and Grocery
Chamber of Commerce
Anacortes Improvement Club
Anacortes Business Men's Association
Anacortes Board of Trade
Anacortes Commercial Club
Anacortes Merchants Association