Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 1073
Caption Luvera's Grocery
Description Throughout the years his store was in business, Paul Luvera ran numerous contests and events in his store to promote his business. They had different and catchy titles such as "Italian Spahgetti Feed" to celebrate the store remodel (1928), "Oldest Grandmother" (4-31), "Best Fiddler" (1931), "Oldest Father" (1931), "Guess Anacortes' population" (1930), "Mickey Mouse Club" (1930), plus yearly events each November to celebrate the store's anniversary. It is unknown what event is pictured here.
Paul Luvera (1898-1990) started this grocery on November 22, 1922, on the ground floor of the Blackmore Building at 702 Commercial. This structure was built as the Blackmore Building c.1890; later known as the Hensler Building, owned by Gus Hensler. Luvera's father Nicolas, was a native of Reggio, Calabria, Italy, he immigrated to Canada as a child and brought his family to Anacortes in 1918. Nicolas, who died in 1956, worked in the store with his son Paul, a business that had a variety of different names over the years: Luvera's Fruit and Grocery, Luvera's Grocery, etc. In 1953 the Blackmore building and Luvera's store, was extensively remodeled including removing the 2nd story from the building. Paul Luvera retired in 1957. See also: WF-1446 for Luvera float in Marineers' Pageant; WF 2417-2466, 4120 and WF 5685 and D.IV.122.001-003
Date 1930s c.
Photographer from the BRADY, Ferd collection
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - Business
People
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Luvera's Store
grocery
702 Commercial Avenue
Blackmore Building
Hensler Building
Empire Building
dentist
Medical-Dental Building
Object Name Print, photographic