Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 0024.A,B,C,D,E,F
Description Although J. M. Moore was running the store at the time this image was taken, the building was historically known as the Bowman Store. The store, and the first Anacortes Post Office within it, opened in the fall of 1879 at the foot of future Q Avenue. On 11-01-1879 the PUGET SOUND MAIL reported, "The attention of our local readers is invited to the advertisement of A. Bowman and Co. of Anacortes which appears for the first time in the MAIL." On 11-15-1879 the MAIL reported, "The Anacortes ( or Ship Harbor) post office has been re-established, on which event we congratulate Mr. Bowman, the postmaster and merchant of that place, as he has been considerably embarrassed by the suspension." The store first operated as "A. Bowman and Co. Dealers in groceries, dry goods and hardware, drugs and medicines, crockery and fancy goods, etc., etc. As we will soon enlarge our storeroom, we will be better prepared to carry a heavier stock of goods." (6-3-1882 NORTHWEST ENTERPRISE) Store advertized as "Oakley and Bowman" in 7-15-1882 "Enterprise and became "Bowman and Childs" in 3-22-1884 ENTERPRISE; Bowman's brother-in-law, Dr. Thomas Childs, ran the store and post office at that point. His daughter, Marian Childs Watkinson, (1882-1966) is the small child sitting on rock at far left. Ox cart owned by William Allard who is pictured in front of store with a large beard, no hat, in cart to left of flour sack. James M. Moore, the shop keeper and post office manager, is picture on the far left side of the wagon, his hands on the wheel. In back row, third from the left, is Charles F. Mitchell. Mitchell came to Fidalgo in 1881. He probably worked on the NORTHWEST ENTERPRISE (1882-1886), and he started the island's first daily newspaper, the ANACORTES PROGRESS, in 1889. The 5-3-1890 ANACORTES AMERICAN reported, "C. F. Mitchell has sold the ANACORTES PROGRESS to WH McEwen." Mitchell was a charter member of the Typographical Union in Seattle. One of the men on porch at left is Matthias Anstensen.

Back row, right to left: Sarsfield Kavanaugh, Mamie Hyatt, her mother, and "3 or 4 Wootens." [Identification notes from the Weaverling family's copy of same photo; original ID notes are included in photo file.] Picture obviously taken same day as WF 0023 in which this same ox cart, and many of the people, are pictured. For a view of J. M. Moore's home, see WF 0220. See photos of Allard's great-grandson on his 3-1994 visit to Anacortes in Wallie V. Funk color photos.
Date 1889 c.
Photographer BOOEN, J. O.
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Animal
People
Photograph
Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - Business
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
People ALLARD, William
ANSTENSEN, Matthias "Matt"
BOWMAN, Amos
CHILDS, Thomas Bromley "Brom", Dr., DDS
HYATT, Mamie
KAVANAUGH, Sarsfield
McEWEN, W. H.
MITCHELL, Charles F.
MOORE, James M.
OAKLEY,
WATKINSON, Marian Childs
WOOTEN, Jackson "Jack"
Place Fidalgo Island, WA
Search Terms Bowman Store
ox team
post office
cart
newspaper
Typographical Union
Object Name Print, Photographic