Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 1833
Caption 1934 Anacortes Fire Department
Description The Anacortes Fire Department and officers are standing in front of their headquarters located at 1107 5th Street, on south side of 5th Street between O Avenue (southwest corner) and N Avenue which also housed the jail and Anacortes City Hall. Between the men and the building are the fire trucks. The fire engine on the left is the 1919 Brockway chemical car. The engine in the middle is the 1924 American LaFrance pumper truck; identification was provided by Chuck Tidrington. The Anacortes Fire Department got its start soon after the city was platted in January 1890. On January 25, 1890, the ANACORTES PROGRESS stated, "Now is the time for everyone to start thinking about organizing a good fire department," evidence that from the very first Anacortes thought about fire prevention. This fire hall was built soon afterward on the south side of 5th Street in 1892. The 4-7-1892 ANACORTES AMERICAN reported, "Firemen move into their new fire hall quarters which are in city hall." The Fire Department remained in this building until 1953, when it moved to 12th Street between Commercial and O. See also WF 0002, 0152, 1834.
Date 1934, April 1
Photographer from the BRADY, Ferd collection
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place -Anacortes, WA
Structure - Government
Transportation - Land
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Anacortes Fire Department
Fire hall
Fire engines
Brockway chemical car
American LaFrance pumper truck
Anacortes City Hall
City Hall
1107 5th Street
Object Name Print, Photographic