Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 0220
Caption Moore home
Description J. M. Moore built this home in 1891 on the NE corner of 32nd and M, the "Moore Addition" of Anacortes (an area platted by the home's owner.) Moore was listed in the 1890 Anacortes City Directory as "J. M. Moore groceries and hardware." The ANACORTES AMERICAN reported on 11-22-1928, "In the early days it was one of the show pieces of the city, as was the home of W. T. Odlin on the opposite corner of M Avenue" (seen at lower left, the Odlin house also belonged to Sharpstein and Hibler families). The Moore house was later sold to R. E. Davis, then to J. M. Morrison, and then Gus Hensler. In 1923, Hensler sold the house to Anacortes Physicians and Surgeons, "who remodeled it for hospital purposes." On November 16, 1928, a chimney fire leveled the building. The hospital temporarily moved to the Lowman home at 5th and L, and the blaze spurred the community to raise funds for a new "fireproof hospital" which opened at 913 M Street in June 1930.
Date 1900 c.
Photographer Unknown
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - Business
Structure - Residence
Organization - Hospital
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Moore home
groceries and hardware
Anacortes Physicians and Surgeons
hospital
fire
fireproof hospital
Object Name Print, Photographic