Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 0243
Caption Commercial and 8th
Description Commercial Avenue looking north from 8th. This was probably taken from the upper floor of the Wilson Hotel. The Keystone Building (built in 1910) is visible on the right side of Commercial Avenue at NE corner of 7th. North of the Keystone Building, the Vendome Hotel (NE corner of 6th and Commercial) and the McNaught Building (NE corner of 5th and Commercial) are visible. Note the dirt/gravel condition of Commercial Avenue. In 1902, Anacortes City Council passed a resolution to improve Commercial Avenue from Ocean Dock to 11th street by removing the old wooden planking installed in 1890. From 3rd to 11th streets the planking on Commercial was replaced by "cement gravel." Not until 1914 was Commercial Avenue paved.
Date 1913 c.
Photographer Unknown
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place - Anacortes, WA
Place - Commercial Avenue
Postcard
Structure - Business
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Commercial Avenue
Wilson Hotel
Keystone Building
Vendome Hotel
McNaught Building
dirt
planking
cement
gravel
pavement
Object Name Postcard