Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 1341.A,B,C,D
Caption Funeral at Eagles Hall
Description In this view, pallbearers are carrying a coffin from a funeral at the Eagles' Hall at 901 7th Street to a hearse on 7th Street. See WF 1196. Note the Great Northern Railroad Depot on R Avenue. The hearse with "H" on the glass by the driver's door was from Haugen Funeral Parlor; see WF 1147, 1751.

Many of Anacortes' fraternities and industrial unions provided funeral and burial services for their members. A funeral notice in the 3-22-1906 ANACORTES AMERICAN reported, "Johnny Johnson laid to rest by Shingle Weavers Union. One of the strongest unions in existence and known for the beautiful manner in which the dead are cared for." The Oddfellows, (begun in 1891), Masons (1891) and the Fraternal Order of Eagles (1902) provided funeral and burial services for their members as well. Note this advertisement in the 1924 RHODODENDRON (Anacortes High School annual); "Anacortes [Eagles] Aerie #249 ... has now grown to over 1000 members. FOE furnishes a doctor to members and their families. It buries its dead and gives life insurance at a fee."

NOTE: See attached photo #2 with text identifying building addresses.
Photographer from the BRADY, Ferd collection
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Organization - Fraternal
People
Event - funeral
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms funeral
Eagles' Hall
Great Northern Railroad
depot
hearse
Haugen Funeral Parlor
fraternities
unions
burial service
Shingle Weavers Union
Oddfellows
Masons
Rhododendron
901 7th
Object Name Print, Photographic