Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number D.X.066
Caption Fidalgo Bay Road
Description Fidalgo Bay Road was also known as Old Bay Road. It opened around 1882. This view facing north is from south of Weaverling Spit, which is visible in the center of the photo. The first road, a cross island road from March's Point to Rosario, opened in 1879. The 10-17-1885 NORTHWEST ENTERPRISE reported, " William Allard has expended 12 days of work on the approach to Weaverling's Bluff: A Bridge is necessary at Hutton's Brook." Skagit County improved the road five years later. The 1-18-1891 ANACORTES AMERICAN reported, "County Road along Fidalgo Bay has been completed." In this view, a man is driving a horse and wagon on the improved road. In the distance, the tower of a rock-crushing machine is visible, as is some type of roller or road-grading machine. This photo was published in SKAGIT SETTLERS, page 8 and in ANACORTES STORY, page 8.
Date 1910
Subjects Place - Anacortes, WA
Industry - Mining
Animal - Horse
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Weaverling Spit
road
Fidalgo Bay Road
road grader
road improvement
horse-drawn cart
Object Name Print, Photographic