Photo #410, of class students and one teacher standing on the steps at Fidalgo School located at March's Point.
Mrs. Frances Sumey, 3rd & 4th grades, c.1947-1948
Row 1: Mary Lou Brannick, Sharon Mason, Marlene Buer, Shirley Raymond, Faye Swing
Row 2: Kenneth Stone, ?, Harold Fry, Nels Cederstrand, Terry Keyes, Fred March, Gustav "Skippy" Dagg, Albert Howard
Row 3: Donna Jensen, Nancy Smith, Adelle Forrest, Jean Hauber, ?, ?, Peggy Thomas, Pat Brannick, Margaret Fry
Row 4: Charles Smith, Richard ____, Dwight Mitchell, Delbert Berner, Bobby Cassidy, Barry Drake, Jackie Mason
The first Fidalgo School was built on March's Point in 1868. It was a one room log cabin 20'x30' in size. The second school was built in 1890 where the southern refinery is now located. The third Fidalgo school, built in 1917, was a 2-story building. In the 1950s a basement was dug and the school house was moved over the top of it. Then in 1957, when the refineries came to Fidalgo Island, school #4 was built on 15 acres on Gibraltar Road. That school became part of the Anacortes School District instead of being it's own district, and the name was changed to Fidalgo Elementary School. The new school housed grades 1-6 (with a consideration for kindergarten), had 12 rooms and a gymnasium. The present (2006) Fidalgo School, considered the 5th one, was remodeled and an addition done to school #4 and open in time for the September 1996 classes.
|Credit line||Donated by F. Jean Nelson|
BRANNICK, Mary Lou
STONE, Kenneth "Ken"
MARCH, Fred H.
DAGG, Gustav "Skippy"
HOWARD, Albert "Al"
TOLMAN, William W.
CASSIDY, Robert "Bobby"
|Object Name||print, photographic|