Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number D.VI.049.A,B,C
Description The Deception Dock (Benn and Christensen Dock) was erected in March 1884 by Frank Benn and Mark Christensen near their Deception Mill for steamers connecting with Bellingham and Seattle. A crowd of people may be seen on dock, next to which is a small tugboat. Railing has been installed on right side of dock; WF 0033 and 0035 show earlier and later photos of this dock. The Deception Mill (Pass Mill) is visible on shore at left side of dock; Halpin's Store is visible at right of center. Cut line for this photo in 8-6-1959 ANACORTES AMERICAN Pioneer Edition, sect. 1-7, states that "Faulkner Hotel is above the dock at center, and to the right of dock is a saloon." (not confirmed by T. L. Trebon) At far right is white building that may be WF 0032. The Benn family (mill owners) home is seen on the far left and is still standing as on November 2007. See also WF 0031-0037.
Date 1889, February
Photographer BOOEN, J. O.
Subjects Place - Fidalgo Island
Structure - Business
Structure - Residence
People
Transportation - Maritime
Structure - Pier
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk
People BENN, Frank
CHRISTENSEN, Mark
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Deception Dock
Benn and Christensen Dock
Deception
Fidalgo City
Dewey
dock
tugboat
railing
Deception Mill
Pass Mill
Halpin's Store
Faulkner Hotel
Benn residence
Object Name Print, Photographic