Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number D.II.068
Caption Anacortes from Cap Sante
Description View of Anacortes west from Cap Sante. Many of the old buildings of the "Boom" were built or in construction by the fall of 1890. Following structures are visible from far upper left corner to right: Anacortes Hotel, McNaught Building on 8th Street; center is the Platt Building at 4th and P. Taylor Hotel is visible at the far right. Note split-rail fencing in foreground. Trestle-like arrangement at left center may be precursor to either the "Cap Sante motor bridge", which was dismantled in 1896 [ 04/23/1896 ANACORTES AMERICAN: The motor bridge between 10th Street and Cap Sante is being dismantled. Workmen have removed the planking and doubtless the heavy timbers will follow "]; or it could be the railroad line that crossed west side of Fidalgo Bay near Commercial Avenue, followed S Avenue for a few blocks, and then curved to the northwest and the Oregon Improvement Dock. [See Sanborn Maps, esp 1923, for view of this rail route.]

NOTE: D.II.068 = 16x20 reproduction by Glenn Davis as part of the 165 - 175 original photos reproduced for exhibit which was the starting of the Anacortes Museum. Glenn Davis' relief stamp on lower right hand corner of photograph.
Date 1890 Oct - 1890 Nov c.
Photographer EWING, David B. (possibly, see notes)
Subjects Photograph
Place - Anacortes, WA
Structure - Business
Credit line donated by Wallie Funk
People WAGNER, John
WAGNER, Edna
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Anacortes Hotel
McNaught Building
Wilson Building
Platt Building
Taylor Hotel
Cap Sante motor bridge
Object Name Print, Photographic