Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number WF 0261.011
Caption Commercial and 7th
Description SE corner of Commercial and 7th. The Keystone Building is visible at far left on NE corner of Commercial and 7th. Citizens Bank Building, built in 1906, is on the SE corner of that intersection. Citizens Bank is in the SE corner. To its right is Thornton's Dry Goods Store, owned by Roy Thornton, which began business at 820 Commercial in the early 1930s but had moved to this location at 705 Commercial by 1937; it remained there through the late 1950s and was not listed in the 1962 City Directory. South of Thornton's is the Lipstick Beauty Shop operated by Alvina Hull; it began business at 709 Commercial c.1932 and remained there through at least 1954 - not listed in the 1962 directory. The business located directly behind the street lamp in this photo is Judd's Photo Studio also at 709 Commercial. Charles Judd, one of Anacortes' most important photographer, began business in Anacortes in September 1904 on 5th Street between Commercial and O avenues; between 1917and 1921 he moved his business to this location. The 6-9-1936, ANACORTES AMERICAN reported Judd's death in the Anacortes Hospital. His wife Anna may have continued to run his photography business for a few years after his death; note "Photos" and "Kodak" signs in window and on the wall.
Photographer CRAM, Hal - possibly
Collection Wallie Funk Collection
Subjects Place - Anacortes, WA
Place - Commercial Avenue
Structure - Business
Transportation - Land
Credit line Donated by Wallie Funk, Wallie Funk Collection
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms Commercial Avenue
Keystone Building
Citizens Bank Building
Citizens Bank
Thornton's Dry Goods Store
Lipstick Beauty Shop
Judd's Photo Studio
photographer
photos
Kodak
Object Name Print, Photographic