Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number D.VI.056
Caption E. K. Wood Mill
Description E. K. Wood Mill. The mill was located between Flounders and Burrows Bay in western Anacortes, on the east side of Washington Park. Fred J. Wood, "Prominent millman and capitalist of Bellingham", expressed interest in this site in 1912 (see "looks likely for big mill", 7-25-1912 ANACORTES AMERICAN) and purchased it in 1914, announcing his plans to construct a large mill. The mill complex was not actually built until 1923; 8-9-1923 ANACORTES AMERICAN reported, "176' smokestack going up at E. K. Wood Mill." It began production in 1924. The mill was sold in 1943 and renamed Walton MIll; it ceased operations in 1952 and was demolished in 1960 prior to building the Skyline development. Hopke Airfield was on this site prior to development of Anacortes Airport above Skyline. As of 10-2011, one building remains from this mill complex, the Planing Shed.
Subjects Industry - Mill
Industry - Mill - Lumber
Place - Anacortes, WA
Place Anacortes, WA
Search Terms E. K. Wood Mill
west Fidalgo Island
Burrows Bay
Flounder Bay
Skyline
Object Name Print, Photographic